Goodwill values your generous donations.
Retail sales from your donated items allow us to continue empowering thousands of people through employment every year. We gratefully accept everything from clothing and accessories to small household appliances and furniture, electronics, books, fine china, art and other collectibles in good or new condition.
Items we can’t accept
Our drivers, donation attendants and stores are not allowed to accept the following items:
- Anything that is damaged, stained, soiled or rusting (Goodwill does not perform any repairs)
- Alcoholic beverages
- Any item which has contained gasoline, fuel, oil or propane, such as used auto parts.
- Tires, batteries, fluorescent bulbs
- Large or built in appliances or house hold fixtures such as toilets or sinks.
- Building supplies – Re-Direct to donated goods Manager/Supervisor
- Carpet or padding
- Firearms or ammunition
- Household hazardous waste, i.e.; chemicals, bleach, cleaners, paint, pesticides, etc.
- Mattresses, hide-a-bed Sofas, box springs, (state law) hospital bed, or bed pillows.
- Water beds or water bed frames
- Cribs, car seats, play pens, safety gates, etc.
- Documents, garbage or trash
- Large exercise equipment (maybe accepted at Outlets).
Why can’t Goodwill accept all my items?
We greatly appreciate your desire to donate to Goodwill and know that you may have gone to a lot of trouble to deliver your donation or schedule a home pick-up. Here’s why we can’t accept items like those listed above:
- Goodwill’s goal is to provide jobs, training, and placement services to people facing barriers to employment. We finance these goals through the sale of your gently used clothes and household items. When we receive donations that we are unable to sell, we are forced to take them to the landfill where we have to pay the same disposal fees that you do.
- Every truckload of unacceptable goods we take to the landfill is equal to three days of classroom instruction for someone whose goal is to get and keep a job. The less we take to the landfill, the more money we have to help that person achieve that goal!
- It is at the discretion of the Donation Center attendant or Home Pickup crew to determine whether or not we will be able to sell your donated items. We hope you understand why your donation may be declined.
If you have any questions about what we accept please call us. We would be happy to answer your questions.
San Luis Obispo: (805) 544-0542
Santa Cruz/Monterey: (831) 423-8611
Thank you for thinking of Goodwill first!