It’s called the most wonderful time of the year, but the stress and strain built into the holiday shopping season can dampen anyone’s spirit.
A thrifty trip to your local Goodwill Central Coast store can help ease the burden. Call it a holiday treasure hunt, with secondhand items treading lightly on your pocketbook — and the planet.
The concept of thrifting your way through the holidays is not new, but gaining momentum each year. As a result, Goodwill is becoming an increasingly popular alternative to malls and department stores. For many budget-conscious consumers who care about their community, we have happily become the retailer of choice.
Savvy Goodwill shoppers have always found it exciting to see what’s new, and what’s possible to make out of items donated by others. It’s the epitome of responsible upcycling — an alternative to the modern throwaway culture.
Each year, Goodwill prevents more than 2 billion pounds of goods from ending up in landfills — more than 80 million people donating goods to Goodwill stores across the country. Money through the sale of those goods helps support and grow our critical job training programs, employment placement services and other community-based programs for people who have disabilities, lack education or job experience, or face employment challenges.
Here are some tips and ideas on how to be happy and thrifty for the holidays:
- Stocking stuffers: At Goodwill we have everything you need for some cute, inexpensive stocking stuffers. Our built-in value allows you to walk away with creative gifts from $1 to $5. From toy cars or dolls to warm gloves and hats, you’ll be sure to find small gifts that will bring big smiles.
- Dining utensils: When it comes to fancy cups, plates and dinnerware, Goodwill is your go-to store. If you plan to have guests for the holidays, you’re probably going to need more dinnerware, silverware, wine glasses and the like. Let us help you create a visual delight before the meal arrives.
- Furniture: With extra house guests on the way, you may need to find items such as a futon, a side table or extra chairs. Savvy shoppers can find amazing vintage pieces at reasonable prices.
- Decorations: Shopping at Goodwill is a great way to save money on holiday decor. Find original Christmas ornaments, stockings, artificial trees, as well as colorful fall decor and seasonal items that set the proper mood as winter approaches. You can also make Christmas garlands using thrifted greenery and branches.
- Outside decor: Christmas picks and greenery can help deck the halls of your home inside as well as outside. Assemble striking combinations of artificial flowers, dried fruit, cones, moss, ribbons and more. And don’t forget the lights!
- Baskets: These beautiful and inexpensive additions are perfect for awkward shaped gifts. Add a bit of ribbon and cellophane for that perfect touch. When you’re only spending a few dollars on the basket that leaves more money for the goodies that go inside.
Holiday outfits: Don’t spend a fortune on something you’ll only wear once. Find that perfect ugly Christmas sweater, along with cute dresses for little girls, and small suits for boys. Goodwill is also a prime spot for Santa hats, winter gloves, and colorful stockings.
Don’t just survive the holidays … thrive the thrifty way with the help of Goodwill Central Coast.