While winter fashion can certainly be stylish, it’s often about simple, cozy comfort. After all, why not embrace the cold and snuggle up in warm, comfortable clothing?
This winter season, step into a cozy GCC store and buy something warm and fuzzy. Yours purchases further our mission to change lives through the power of work. And that’s enough to make you warm and fuzzy all on its own!
Here are some ideas to help you navigate winter weather thrifting:
- Lots of layers: You can’t go wrong with this winter approach. For a layered look, start with the thinnest layer, like a long-sleeved T-shirt or turtleneck. Then, add a stylish vest or sweater on top. Finish off your look with a necklace or scarf. You’ll be warm and comfortable all day, without feeling too bundled up!
- Leggings and joggers: You can never have too many pairs of leggings and joggers (pants that taper at the calf). Unlike regular sweatpants, leggings and joggers are made to be more fitted and stylish. You can dress them up with long cardigans and fashion sneakers or booties, or simply pair them with a comfy sweatshirt when you’re relaxing at home. Of course, they’re also great for working out. GCC offers a complete section of athleisure wear, many of them name brands.
- Loungewear sets: When the weather turns sour, sometimes the best strategy is to wait it out in comfort. Goodwill makes it easy to upgrade your stay-at-home attire with the latest style trends. Loungewear is made to be comfortable but still elevated enough to wear while running errands, too. Whether you’re looking for matching sweatsuits or mix-and-match tops and bottoms, you’re sure to find unique loungewear pieces when you shop at GCC.
- Warm winter coats: If you’re planning a winter trip to somewhere snowy, or if your kids continue to quickly outgrow the clothing you buy, you will find name brands such as Patagonia and North Face, along with a large variety of styles and colors. In winter, GCC stores always have a massive coat display, with everything from fur to leather to wool. While modern coats sold in department stores often lack quality, unique thrifted finds at Goodwill are actually warm, made with real wool (not some synthetic fiber), with all the style and originality you crave. For the cost of one coat at a regular retail store, you can stock up on a mini rack of vintage coats, each serving a particular type of look. You could mix and match them for each day like a treasured part of your look.
- Stylish sweaters (even ugly ones!): Thrifted sweaters are a classic staple you can wear all winter long. That’s why they call it sweater weather! From knitted crew necks and cardigans to ponchos, hoodies and wraps, you can find a wide variety of cozy and cute sweaters in all kinds of sizes, colors, textures, and patterns at any of our stores. And don’t forget the tried and true ugly Christmas sweater that makes its annual appearance in all its glorious tackiness. They are colorfully garish. They are loud. They are decidedly unfashionable and certainly in very poor taste. But we just can’t get enough of this goofy, gaudy tradition! When it comes to ugly Christmas sweaters, GCC stores are your headquarters for hideous hijinks. You can find secondhand ugly sweaters or plain ones that can easily be transformed into a Yuletide treasure.
Holiday thrifting pays dividends
Remember, GCC has everything needed to stay cozy in style this winter, for much less than traditional retail prices.
Best of all, when you choose to get thrifty with us, you’re helping further our mission to change lives through the power of work.
Another benefit? By giving these winter clothing items a second life, you’re helping reduce the adverse environmental impact that conspicuous consumption can have on our planet.
We stand proud as an entrepreneurial leader, environmental pioneer and social innovator of the “reduce, reuse, repurpose” practice. Through our 16 stores in three counties and our online auction site, we can help our communities extend the life of usable items in environmentally sound ways.