The solstice occurs on Tuesday, June 21, marking the start of summer in the Northern Hemisphere. That means now is the perfect time to head to a Goodwill Central Coast store for great secondhand summer finds.
Those who are looking to save money while looking great this summer will love the experience of thrifting through Goodwill. The best part about it is that you never know what you will find. It’s a bit like treasure hunting, and you know that in the end, you have found a responsible way to enjoy something new to you.
If you are new to thrifting, you will want to learn how to get the most value out of your thrift haul. At GCC, we believe that thrifting is the best way to stretch your budget while scoring awesome finds.
Here are some tips about summer thrifting to get you started:
- Visit regularly: With 15 stores and an outlet, chances are great that there is a Goodwill Central Coast shopping opportunity near you. Because we replenish our shelves frequently, shoppers will unearth treasures on each visit.
- Stop in at prime times: When the summer yard sales in your area are in full swing, chances are you’ll see a spike in prime items at Goodwill. Since most yard sales are on the weekends, you will often have the most luck on Mondays after items have been donated. Most people usually clean out their closets and storage areas over the weekend, too. And if you hit up the store after a holiday weekend, you can expect an even bigger selection since most people have more time to purge their stuff.
- Arrive early: Most of GCC’s stores open at 9 a.m. or 10 a.m. Arriving on a Monday just before opening is a pro maneuver, almost guaranteeing an amazing find.
- Know what you’re looking for: Keep in mind a list of items that appeal to you, and plan out your route through the aisles. In the summer you will find gently used furniture (or well-worn items that just need a little creativity and TLC), home decor, lighting, and holiday items, too! You wouldn’t believe all of the great Christmas decors you can find smack dab in the middle of summer!
- Don’t hesitate: If you see something you like, snatch it up. Take an item and put it in your basket. As you shop, you can make the decision if you really want to buy it. You can always put the item back. But the best finds aren’t on the floor for long, so don’t miss out while you are deciding.
- Shop at the end of the season for unique finds: Many people have just finished cleaning out their closets in preparation for the new season. You’d be surprised at how many items get donated with the original tags still attached. This may include light jackets, athletic shoes, sunglasses, hats, and sports equipment.
It’s all about the outfit
As you hunt for the best items for your summer wardrobe at Goodwill, you will want to keep in mind the latest trends. Here are a few items that you may want to keep an eye out for while summer thrifting:
Sundresses — There is no such thing as too many sundresses, but adding to your collection can quickly become expensive if you keep paying full price at name-brand outlets. At Goodwill Central Coast, you will find a lot of different sundress styles that are perfect for any occasion, including brunch with your friends, church on the weekends, or a day at the beach with that special someone.
Summer accessories — Accessorizing is the key to your summer wardrobe. At GCC, you will be able to find all of the best summer accessories for a fraction of the cost. You might discover large, floppy sun hats, stylish sunglasses, and gorgeous wedge sandals. When you find these items at the right price, you can match the perfect accessories with every outfit that you have.
Shorts and skirts — Shorts and skirts are a summer staple, but sometimes you need several of each in order to build a complete wardrobe. With colored and patterned shorts being all the rage this year, you will want to start hunting at GCC stores so you can have as many as you want without breaking the bank.
Holiday apparel — Everyone likes to look festive on patriotic holidays, such as Memorial Day or the Fourth of July. However, no one wants to pay full price for an outfit that they might wear one day out of the year. If you start your search after the holidays, you will be able to find all of the red, white, and blue gear you need for next summer and beyond.
Know that when you shop at Goodwill, you’re getting a better deal than you would by buying the item firsthand at a traditional retail store.
Purchases at GCC support our mission of helping people overcome challenges to build skills, find jobs and grow their careers through the power of work.
A feel-good summer for all!